YOUR FIRST SAILING EXPERIENCE
HOW FIRST SAIL WORKS
Interested in learning how to sail, but not sure if you are ready for a full commitment? Take a First Sail Class to see first-hand why sailing is one of the most relaxing as well as exhilarating activities on earth.
This unique on-the-water opportunity is designed to provide a memorable experience that will motivate newcomers to continue sailing. We offer a pathway to participation through resources on
how to get involved safely and sustainably.
INTRODUCTION AND REVIEW OF
TERMINOLOGY AND CONCEPTS
• Rig and check the boat
• Assign roles for initial sail
• Discuss different sail plans
• Practice upwind sailing with tacking drills, sailing
"in the groove" with tell tales and explain the wind
• Practice downwind sailing with jibing drills,
discussions of wind awareness and safety
• Review proper docking, tie up and storage
• Review and identify next steps in learning